It’s no secret that summertime is the most popular time to travel. School is out, the weather is nice, and there’s just something about being on vacation that makes us feel good. But with this increase in popularity comes an increase in crowds. If you’re looking to avoid the hustle and bustle of tourist traps this summer, consider these crowd-free summer vacation ideas instead. From national parks to small towns, there are plenty of places to explore that will give you the peace you crave without sacrificing the fun getaway.
Crowd-Free Cheap Summer Vacation
Looking to avoid the summer crowds and save some money? Here are a few crowd-free cheap summer vacation ideas:
- Camping- Campgrounds tend to be less crowded during the week, so consider planning a mid-week camping trip. You can also find great deals on campsites if you book in advance.
- Day trips- Take advantage of your location and explore your surrounding area. There are probably many places within driving distance that you’ve never even thought to visit. Pack a picnic lunch and make a day of it!
- Staycation- If you’re looking to save some money, consider staying home for your vacation. There are plenty of ways to have fun without leaving town – visit a nearby state park, take a bike ride or hiking trail, go swimming at the local pool, or check out a new restaurant.
9 Hacks for a Cheap Summer Vacation
- Travel in the off-season– One of the best ways to save on summer travel is to avoid peak times and travel in the shoulder season or off-season instead. This can mean traveling during the week instead of on weekends, or traveling in May or September instead of June, July, or August.
- Take advantage of last-minute deals– If you’re flexible with your travel dates, you can often find great deals by waiting until the last minute to book your trip. This is especially true for airfare, but you can often find good deals on hotels and vacation rentals as well.
- Use points and miles– If you have any points or miles saved up from credit card rewards or frequent flyer programs, now is the time to use them! You can often get free or discounted flights, hotels, and more just by using your points and miles.
- Stay close to home- Instead of planning a big trip overseas, why not stay closer to home? There are plenty of great places to visit within the United States that won’t break the bank. Plus, you’ll save on airfare by staying closer to home.
- Drive instead of fly- Driving is usually cheaper than flying, especially if you’re traveling with a family or group. And, it’s a great way to see more of the countryside if you’re road-tripping through different states. Just be sure to factor in things like gas and lodging
How to Save on Food and Drink While on Vacation
One of the best ways to save on food and drink while on vacation is to eat and drink like the locals. This means consuming local fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses as well as drinking local beers and wines. Not only will this save you money, but it will also give you a more authentic vacation experience.
Another great way to save on food and drink while on vacation is to cook your meals. This can be done by renting an apartment or villa with a kitchen or by taking advantage of the BBQ facilities at your hotel or resort. cooking your meals can help you save a lot of money, especially if you are eating out every day.
Finally, another great way to save on food and drink while on vacation is to take advantage of happy hours and special promotions. Many restaurants and bars offer special discounts during certain hours, so if you are looking to save money on drinks, make sure to take advantage of these deals!
H0w to Save on Activities and Entertainment
There are plenty of ways to save on activities and entertainment while still having a great time on your summer vacation. Here are a few tips:
- Look for free or discounted admission days at local museums, zoos, and parks. Many attractions offer reduced prices or free admission on certain days of the week.
- Check out Groupon and other daily deal websites for discounts on local activities and attractions.
- Take advantage of free concerts and events in your area. Many cities offer free concerts and other events during the summer months.
- Do some research ahead of time to find coupons and discounts for the activities you’re interested in. You can often find discounts online or in tourist brochures.
How to Save on Transportation Costs
If you’re looking to save on transportation costs this summer, there are a few things you can do. One is to carpool with friends or family members who are also going on vacation. This way, you can split the cost of gas and parking. Another option is to take public transportation when possible. This can be cheaper than renting a car or taking an Uber everywhere. Finally, if you’re flying, try to book your flights in advance so that you can get the best deals.
How to Save on Souvenirs
Souvenirs can be a great way to remember your trip, but they can also be a big expense. Here are a few tips to help you save money on souvenirs:
- Shop at local markets or street vendors instead of tourist traps. You’ll usually find better prices and more unique items.
- Look for sales or discounts– Many stores offer discounts to tourists, so it’s worth asking if they have any specials going on.
- Bargain- Don’t be afraid to haggle with vendors, especially if you’re buying multiple items. Skip the expensive items and focus on small, inexpensive souvenirs that you can easily carry home with you.
How to Save on Travel Insurance
When it comes to travel insurance, there are a few things you can do to save money. First, if you’re a member of AAA or another auto club, you may be able to get a discount on your travel insurance. Second, consider buying a policy that covers only the basics like lost luggage and medical expenses. Third, check with your health insurance provider to see if they offer any coverage for overseas travel. Finally, don’t buy insurance from the airline or travel agency – they often mark up the price considerably.
How to Save on Currency Exchange Fees
Currency exchange can be a significant expense when traveling internationally. Here are a few tips to help you save on currency exchange fees:
- Plan and order your currency online before you travel. This way you can take advantage of better rates and avoid the fees associated with last-minute exchanges.
- Consider using a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. This can help you avoid costly fees charged by some financial institutions.
- When possible, use ATMs to withdraw cash in the local currency. This is often more cost-effective than exchanging currency at a bank or airport kiosk.
By following these tips, you can help reduce the costs associated with currency exchange and make your travel budget go further.