Support Needs of Women Deserted by NRI Husbands

Elderly Asian woman suffers from depression. Stressed and sick sitting on the sofa at home in hopes.

For many years, women have been victimized by non-resident Indian (NRI) husbands who abandon them, leaving them with no financial or emotional support. Despite various laws and regulations to protect such women, there is still a large number of women who suffer from this issue. In order to provide some form of relief for these women, the Government of India recently announced a new scheme called ‘Support for Deserted Women’. This scheme aims to provide assistance to those deserted by their NRI husbands and in need of financial help. 

In this article, we explore the qualification criteria for this scheme and how it can help women in such situations get back on their feet.

The Story So Far

The story of women being deserted by their NRI husbands is a long and sad one. There are many cases of women being left alone in India, with no money and no way to support themselves. The Indian government has set up a special task force to help these women, and they are now working on a scheme to provide financial support to these women.

The task force is headed by Sushma Swaraj, the Minister for Women and Child Development. The scheme is still in its preliminary stages, but the government is already working on it. The scheme will provide financial assistance to abandoned wives whose husbands have gone abroad. The scheme is open to all Indian citizens, irrespective of their religion or caste.

This is a welcome move by the government, as it will help many women who have been deserted by their NRI husbands. It is hoped that this scheme will go a long way in helping these women rebuild their lives.

Support Measures by Government of India for Abandoned Wives

The Government of India has put in place a number of support measures for abandoned wives. These include:

  1. The woman can file a complaint with the police against her husband under the dowry prohibition Act.
  2. The woman can also file a case against her husband in the Family Court for restitution of conjugal rights.
  3. The woman can approach the local women’s commission or the National Commission for Women for redressal of her grievances.
  4. The woman can also lodge a First Information Report (FIR) with the police against her husband under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, such as Section 498A (dowry harassment), Section 306 (abetment to suicide), etc.

You Are Not Alone

The number of Indian women being deserted by their NRI husbands is on the rise. If you find yourself in this situation, you are not alone. There are many resources available to help you.

  • The first step is to reach out to your family and friends for support. They can provide emotional and practical assistance as you navigate this difficult time.
  • Additionally, there are numerous online support groups for women in your situation. These groups can be a great way to connect with others who understand what you are going through.

If you have children, it is important to get them involved in the process as well. They may be feeling confused and isolated as well. Explain the situation to them in age-appropriate terms and let them know that they are not alone either. Seek out counseling or therapy if needed to help them deal with their feelings.

There are also legal options available to women who have been deserted by their NRI husbands. You may be entitled to financial support from your husband or his family. You can also file for divorce if you wish to do so. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options under the law.

No woman should have to go through this experience alone. With the right support, you can get through this tough time and move on with your life.

Things to Remember

If you are an Indian woman who has been deserted by her NRI husband, there are a few things you should remember.

First and foremost, you are not alone. There are many women in India who have been abandoned by their NRI husbands. You can find support from other women who have been through the same thing as you.

Secondly, you may be eligible for financial support from the government. The Ministry of Women and Child Development has set up a scheme to provide financial assistance to deserted wives of NRIs. If you think you qualify for this scheme, you should contact the ministry for more information.

Thirdly, it is important to keep yourself safe and healthy during this difficult time. Make sure to take care of yourself emotionally and physically. Seek help from friends and family if you need it.

Fourthly, try to stay positive and hopeful despite the challenges you face. Remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel and things will eventually get better.

Laws about Women Deserted by NRI Husbands

The Indian government has introduced several laws to protect women who have been deserted by their NRI husbands. The main law that applies in these cases is the Foreign Marriage Act, which was enacted in 1969. This law provides for the registration of foreign marriages and requires that both parties to the marriage be present at the time of registration.

Under this law, a woman who has been deserted by her NRI husband can file a complaint with the Indian embassy or consulate in the country where her husband is living. If the embassy or consulate is unable to help her, she can file a case in an Indian court.

In order to successfully file a case under the Foreign Marriage Act, the deserted wife must prove that she and her husband entered into a valid marriage under the law of the country where they were married. She must also show that she has been deserted by her husband and that he is now living in another country.

If the court finds that these conditions have been met, it can grant a divorce and award custody of any children to the wife. The court can also order the husband to pay alimony to the wife.

What are some prevention strategies?

There are several prevention strategies that women can take to avoid being deserted by their NRI husbands. First, they should carefully select their husband and only marry someone who they know well and trust. Second, they should keep in close contact with their family and friends back home, so that if something does happen, they have a support system in place. Finally, they should be financially independent and have their own source of income, so that they are not completely dependent on their husband’s income.

When an NRI husband abandons his wife, it can be a difficult and confusing time. Fortunately, there are organizations that can help women in this situation.

There are a few things to keep in mind if you think you may qualify for support. 

  • First, you must be married to an NRI husband. 
  • Second, your husband must have abandoned you for at least two years. 
  • And third, you must be able to show that you have attempted to contact your husband and he has not responded.

If you meet these criteria, then you may be eligible for financial support from the government or from private organizations. These organizations can help with living expenses, legal fees, and other costs associated with divorce. They can also provide emotional support and resources to help you through this tough time.