Documents after Childbirth in the USA

Young woman and newborn baby in hospital delivery room immediately after childbirth

When you have a baby, the world around you changes. You need to find out about insurance coverage and taxes for maternity leave. And if your child was born in the US, you’ll also need to get a birth certificate and Social Security card. 

Birth Certificate

When you have a child, the birth certificate is one of the most important documents that you’ll need. It can be used for many things:

    • Passport- If your baby is born outside of the USA and must travel here with you, he or she will need a valid passport from both countries.
    • Social Security Number (SSN)- If your child was born in another country and came to America without documentation like an embassy letter or hospital records, this document will identify him or her as an American citizen so he or she qualifies for benefits like Medicare Part D coverage through his own employer’s health plan (or other insurance providers). You’ll need this number when applying for employment; it’s also required by some banks if they want proof of citizenship before opening accounts on behalf of new citizens—and even many businesses require it before hiring someone who plans to stay around long enough for them to start paying taxes on earned income from working full-time hours every week.
    • Social Security Card- You will need to apply for a Social Security card before your child is born. You can do this at any time, but it will take 6-8 weeks to receive it. The Social Security card is proof of your child’s citizenship and identity, as well as evidence that you are eligible for benefits such as Medicaid or food stamps.

Important Documents after Childbirth in the USA

The birth certificate is a document that documents your child’s name and place of birth. It also includes the mother’s name, address, and social security number. If you’re planning to move with your newborn baby overseas, you must get this form filled out as soon as possible after delivery so that he or she can be able to travel abroad with ease.

If you are not planning on moving overseas with your newborn baby but would like them to have an American passport for future travels outside of their home country (such as visiting other countries), then filling out this form will ensure that they do not need another passport from another country for them to board flights. 

Enrolling your Newborn in Medical Coverage

If you have a newborn, it’s important to enroll him or her in medical coverage immediately after birth. The Maternity and Newborn Care Act (MNACA) allows parents to sign up for health insurance for children up to age 23 months without needing any proof of pregnancy. This means that if you have a new baby who was born on November 1st, 2018, and lives with you until December 31st, then he will be covered for 80% off his insurance premium until February 1st, 2019 when he turns 1 year old.

Additionally: If the mother has no other children under the age of 18 or 19 years old who are covered by MNACA at the time of birth (in which case they would already be covered), she can apply directly through Medicaid/CHIP instead of having them go through an employer group plan first like most people do today due how much easier it makes things overall! However, if neither applies then simply wait until after December 31st before applying again because otherwise there’ll be penalties involved later down the road. 

A child also needs a US Passport to return to the USA

There are special requirements for children under 16 and some older children who require additional documentation, such as birth certificates or medical records that show their age and identity. You can apply for a passport at a US Post Office, but it’s also possible to apply in person at any Department of State office (including our Minneapolis location) where you will need your birth certificate or other documents submitted above for us to issue your passport quickly enough before traveling out of state or abroad.

Insurance Coverage of Maternity Leave

The law provides for paid maternity leave of up to 12 weeks, which you can take in chunks or all at once. If you are on disability insurance, it will be paid by your employer while you are away from work. If your employer does not offer disability insurance coverage and if you do not qualify for other types of insurance like COBRA (an old law that required employers to pay workers’ medical bills), then maternity leave will be unpaid unless otherwise stated by the company policy regarding how much time off per year or month should be provided during pregnancy so as not to disrupt business operations (for example: “You may take up to three months unpaid leave”).


After your child’s first birthday, you’ll be responsible for paying taxes on everything they earn. To make sure you don’t miss a deadline or inadvertently file an incomplete return, it’s important to keep track of these important dates:

Your child’s birth date can be found on their Social Security card

The IRS treats each child as their person—so if one parent makes more money than the other, that means he/she must report it separately from his/her partner’s earnings. If there are no income sources for both parents together (like wages), then only one of them needs to add up all that information into one tax return form.

This information is important for organizing your life with a child.

  • A birth certificate is required to apply for a passport.
  • Social security cards are required to get jobs, so be sure you have them before your baby arrives.
  • Maternity leave coverage is needed for paid time off after the baby’s birth, which will help you pay the bills and go back to work when it’s safe again.

You should also make sure that there are no taxes owed on income earned during maternity leave because this money may not be taxed by most countries.

Birth is a huge event, and it’s not just for the mother either. You need to be prepared with the right documents after childbirth in the USA so that you can receive proper care. Learning about these documents will help you organize your life and have peace of mind. The first month after giving birth is very important, so make sure to keep track of everything so that you can be prepared for anything that might come up.