How to Add Spouse Name in Indian Passport
The Indian Passport comes with a single identity card, which has a photo of the holder and all his/her details. However, if you wish to include your spouse’s name in your passport, then this is possible.
What is the importance of adding the Spouse’s name to the Indian Passport?
The Indian passport is the most important document for any Indian citizen. It is used to travel abroad, to apply for visas and it also serves as identification. The passport is a must-have in today’s world where travel has become an essential part of life.
If you have married outside India then your spouse’s name should be added to the passport so that there will be no confusion about who can use which identity card when traveling or applying for a visa.
Processing Time for Addition of Spouse Name in India Passport
If you are applying for a passport with your spouse’s name included, it will take approximately 4-6 weeks for the entire process to be completed. This processing time may vary depending on the number of applications being processed at the time of your application.
To add your spouse’s name to your Indian passport, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A completed application form
- Your current passport
- Two recent passport photographs of yourself and your spouse
- A copy of your marriage certificate
If you are looking to add your spouse’s name to your Indian passport, there are a few documents that you will need to submit. These include:
- Proof of Marriage- This should be a photocopy of your marriage certificate and/or an affidavit from both parties declaring that they are husband and wife (this can be obtained at Hindu marriage ceremonies)
- Proof of Relationship- The relationship between you and your spouse is established by submitting copies of identity cards or passports with dates showing how long each person has lived in India before their marriage took place—and if either party has ever been deported from India for overstaying his/her visa or passport.
- Copy of your Spouse’s Passport- This is needed so that the authorities can verify their identity.
- Proof of Address- This can be in the form of a utility bill or bank statement.
- Proof of Relationship- This can be in the form of photos together, messages or emails between you and your spouse, or any other documentation that shows that you are in a committed relationship.
Once your application is received, it will be reviewed by a consular officer. If everything is in order, you will be asked to submit your current passport. Your new passport with your spouse’s name included will then be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks.
- The passport should be valid for at least six months after the expected date of travel.
- You can add your spouse’s name to your Indian Passport by submitting an online form.
- You can also fill out the form offline by downloading it and sending it to the Consular Section of your local Indian Embassy or High Commission (or Consulate General) along with the required documents like a photograph, signature, and other important documents.
Fees for Addition of Spouse Name in India Passport
If you are married and wish to add your spouse’s name to your Indian passport, you will need to submit a few additional documents along with your application. These include your marriage certificate, photographs of both spouses, and an undertaking from each spouse. The fees for adding a spouse’s name to an Indian passport are as follows:
- · Rs. 1,500 for passports issued in India
- · Rs. 3,000 for passports issued abroad
In addition to the above fees, you will also need to pay the standard application fee for a new passport, which is currently Rs. 1,000 for five-year passports and Rs. 2,000 for ten-year passports.
Benefits of Adding Spouse’s name to the Indian Passport
You can use your passport for traveling to other countries. If you have a spouse’s name in the Indian passport and he/she travels with you, then it is easy to enter and exit from any country around the world. This is because there are many countries in which citizens of India can travel without getting visas from them.
You can use your passport for identification purposes as well as visa purposes if both spouses have different names on their passports. The only difference between these two documents is that one has only one name whereas another has three characters which represent husband/wife/son/daughter respectively (in the case of married couples).