How to Apply for an Aadhar Card as an NRI
As an NRI, one of the first things you must do in India is to apply for an Aadhar Card. It is a unique identification number that is provided by the Indian government to its citizens. Not only does it serve as proof of identity and address, but it also provides access to government services and schemes. Although the process for obtaining an Aadhar Card can be complicated for NRIs, it doesn’t have to be.
In this article, we will walk you through the necessary steps on how to apply for an Aadhar Card as an NRI. With our guide, you will be able to secure your very own Aadhar Card in no time!
What exactly is an Aadhar card?
An Aadhar card is a unique identification card issued by the Indian government to all residents of India. The card contains a 12-digit unique identification number (UID) which is linked to the individual’s biometric and demographic data. The UID can be used to authenticate the identity of an individual for various purposes such as opening a bank account, getting a mobile phone SIM card, etc.
NRIs can also apply for an Aadhar card if they wish to do so. To apply for an Aadhar card as an NRI, you will need to submit biometric and demographic data similar to that required for residents of India. In addition, you will also need to submit proof of your current address in India. Once your application is processed, you will receive your UID which you can use for various purposes in India.
If you are an Indian resident who has been living abroad for more than 182 days in the financial year, then you are considered a Non-Resident Indian (NRI). Even if you are an NRI, you can apply for an Aadhaar card. The process of applying for an Aadhaar card is the same for NRIs as it is for residents, with a few additional steps.
Here is how you can apply for an Aadhaar card as an NRI:
- Collect all the required documents. You will need to provide proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of relationship (if applicable).
- Visit an enrollment center near you. You can find the list of enrollment centers on the UIDAI website.
- Fill out the application form and submit it along with the required documents.
- You will be given a temporary enrollment ID slip which has your details and photographs.
- A trained operator will capture your biometrics – fingerprints and iris scan – which will be used to generate your unique 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- You will receive your Aadhar card by post at your registered address within 60-90 days from the date of enrollment
Common FAQs for Aadhar Card
- Can NRIs apply for an Aadhar card? Yes, NRIs can apply for an Aadhar card.
- How can NRIs apply for an Aadhar card? NRIs can apply for an Aadhar card by sending in their application form along with the required documents to the UIDAI office in India.
- What are the documents required for NRIs to apply for an Aadhar card? The following documents are required for NRIs to apply for an Aadhar card: passport, visa, photograph, and age proof.
- How long does it take for the UIDAI to process an NRI’s application for an Aadhar card? It takes approximately 60-90 days for the UIDAI to process an NRI’s application for an Aadhar card.
- Does an NRI need to be present in India to apply for an Aadhar card? No, an NRI does not need to be present in India to apply for an Aadhar card.
- Can NRIs update their address on their existing Aadhaar cards? Yes, NRIs can update their address on their existing Aadhaar cards by sending a request along with the necessary documents to the UIDAI office in India.
- What is the validity of an NRI’s Aadhaar card? An NRI’s Aadhaar card is valid indefinitely.
If you are an Indian citizen living abroad, you can still apply for an Aadhaar card. As an NRI, you may not be able to enroll in person at an Aadhaar center in India. However, you can send your application by post. Here is how to apply for an Aadhaar card as an NRI:
- Collect the necessary documents. In order to apply for an Aadhaar card as an NRI, you will need to provide proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of relationship with a resident Indian national.
- Fill out the application form. You can find the application form on the UIDAI website.
- Enclose the required documents with your completed application form and submit it by post to the following address: UIDAI PO Box 1947 GPO Bangalore – 560001 Karnataka India.
- Once your application has been received, you will be assigned a temporary number that you can use to check the status of your application online.
- When your Aadhaar card is ready, it will be sent to you by post.
There are a few children of Indian Origin (NRIs) who have been born and brought up in foreign countries. As they grow up, they eventually realize the importance of having an Indian passport and applying for one. However, they are often unaware of the process of applying for an Aadhaar card back in India.
Here is a brief guide on how NRIs can go about applying for an Aadhaar card:
- The first step is to find out if you are eligible for an Aadhaar card. You can do this by visiting the UIDAI website and checking the eligibility criteria.
- If you are eligible, you will need to gather the required documents. These include your identity proof (passport, PAN card, etc.), address proof (utility bill, bank statement, etc.), and age proof (birth certificate, 10th mark sheet, etc.).
- Once you have all the documents ready, you can visit any nearby enrolment center and fill out the application form. You will also need to submit your biometrics at this stage.
- After the enrolment process is complete, you will be given an acknowledgment slip which will have your temporary 12-digit Aadhaar number. This number can be used for various purposes till you receive your physical Aadhaar card by post.