Modifying Names in Indian Passport in the US

The process of modifying your name on a passport can be a complex process. The procedure might seem difficult and intimidating since some rules and regulations only apply to India that control these kinds of adjustments.


Let’s find out what is a key component in updating your names in important documents. Furthermore, be informed of the process of doing it. 


If you have recently changed your name, or if there is a mistake in your name on your Indian passport, you may need to get your passport corrected. To do this, you will need to submit a written request to the Indian consulate, along with supporting documentation three different types of corrections can be made to an Indian passport:

·         Name Change- A name change is when you have legally changed your name (for example, through marriage)

·         Name Correction- When there is a mistake in your current name (for example, a misspelling).  

·         Name Split- When you want to use a different name than what appears on your passport (for example, if you go by a nickname).


Documents Required to Modify your Name in India Passport


If an applicant wants their passport name changed or corrected due to marriage, divorce, or re-issuance after expiry they will have to submit certain documents along with their application form. The following documents are required for a name change or correction in an Indian passport:

  • Application form duly completed and signed by the applicant
  • Original passport
  • Photographs (2 recent photographs of size 35mm x 45mm with white background)
  • Self-attested copy of the document supporting the change of name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, deed poll, etc.)
  • The fee prescribed by the consulate (generally around Rs.3000/-)


The above-mentioned documents should be submitted to the nearest Indian consulate along with the relevant application form. The consulate will also require that you submit proof of your current residency in their jurisdiction as well as proof of your identity (usually in the form of a driver’s license or birth certificate). 


Steps to Follow for Name Change in India Passport

·  Gather all of the required documents- These include your current passport, a marriage certificate or divorce decree (if applicable), a court order (if your name has been legally changed), and an Affidavit of Name Change

·   Fill out the application form for a change of name in your Indian passport- This can be done online through the website of the Consulate General of India in New York, or you can download the form and submit it in person or by mail. 

·   Submit it along with your supporting documents to the Consulate General of India. You can do this in person, by mail, or via courier service

·         Once your application has been processed, you will be contacted to pick up your new passport.



If you need to travel before your new passport arrives, you can request an emergency travel document from the consulate or embassy. This document will allow you to travel on a one-time basis and is typically valid for up to 1 year.