Petition for Alien Relative with Direct Filing Addresses

USCIS form I-140 Immigrant petition for alien workers lies on flat lay office table and ready to

Are you trying to find a means to file Form I-130 more quickly? In that case, you might choose to use direct filing addresses. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has identified specific places where applicants can send their immigration paperwork. The Form I-130, which is used to petition for an alien relative, is one application that uses these addresses. By sending your application to one of these direct filing addresses instead of a standard mailing address, USCIS will get it more quickly, which can assist speed up the process significantly. By using these addresses, you can ensure that your application won’t get misdirected or lost in the mail.

What is Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative?

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is a USCIS form used to establish the relationship between a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and an alien relative who wishes to live and work in the United States. The petition must be filed by the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident sponsor, and requires the submission of evidence to show the relationship between the sponsor and beneficiary. Once Form I-130 is approved, the beneficiary may then apply for a green card or other immigration benefits.

Direct filing addresses for Form I-130 are available for those who wish to submit their petition directly to a USCIS Service Center instead of through an Immigration Field Office. Filing Form I-130 at a direct filing address can often result in swifter processing times, as your petition will not need to be transferred to another office for adjudication. To find the appropriate direct filing address for your Form I-130 petition, please consult the USCIS website or speak with an experienced immigration attorney.

Background of Form I-130

The I-130, Petition for Alien Relatives, is the first step in sponsoring your close family members, such as a spouse or child, to come live with you in the United States. By filing this petition, you are demonstrating that you have an eligible relationship with the relative you wish to sponsor and that you can support them financially.

The I-130 can be filed by anyone who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) and who has an eligible relationship with a foreign national relative they wish to sponsor. The sponsored relative must be single and have no children who are unmarried and under 21 years of age.

When filing the I-130, it is important to use the correct address. The address you use will determine which USCIS Service Center will process your petition. There are four Service Centers that handle I-130 petitions: California, Nebraska, Texas, and Vermont. Each Service Center has its jurisdiction, which is based on the state where the petitioner resides.

If you file your I-130 at the wrong Service Center, it will likely cause delays in processing your petition. Therefore, it is important to use the correct address when filing Form I-130.

What is the Purpose of Form I-130?

The purpose of Form I-130 is to establish the foreign national’s relationship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative. Sponsors use this form to petition certain family members to come to the United States or adjust their status if they are already here. Sponsors need to include the required evidence with Form I-130 to prove the family relationship. This form is also used as part of various immigration processes such as obtaining a green card or family reunification.

When and Where to File Form I-130

  1. Sponsoring a family member for a green card is to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. 
  2. The form must be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office that serves the area where the sponsor lives. 

There are three ways to find the correct USCIS office:

  1. Look up the address on
  2. Check the instructions on Form I-130. 
  3. Call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you are filing Form I-130 for more than one person, you may mail all of the petitions in one package to a single service center or lockbox facility. But each petition must have its transmittal cover letter and fee. Also, include a separate G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, for each person being sponsored if you want to receive an email and/or text message notifying you that USCIS has accepted your form.

Important Considerations for Mailing Form I-130

When you are ready to file your Form I-130, there are five important considerations to keep in mind:

  1. Make sure you have the most recent version of the form. The form changes from time to time, so you want to make sure you are using the most up-to-date version.
  2. Gather all of the required documentation. In addition to the completed form, you will need to provide supporting documentation such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, and proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency status.
  3. Choose the correct filing address. Depending on your circumstances, you will need to use a different mailing address when filing Form I-130. Be sure to check the instructions on the form to determine which address you should use.
  4. Pay the filing fee. The current filing fee for Form I-130 is $535, although there may be additional fees if you are also requesting an expedited processing time. Fees can be paid by check or money order made out to the “Department of Homeland Security” or by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions.
  5. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) if you want notification of the receipt of your Form I-130 and/or a return of any original documents that you submitted with your application.

Required Documents for Filing Form I-130

To file Form I-130, you will need the following documents:

  • A completed and signed Form I-130. You can get the form online at or by request from your local USCIS office.
  • A passport-style photograph of yourself, taken within the last 30 days. The photo should be 2 inches by 2 inches, with a white background and your full face in view.
  • Evidence of your U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident statuses, such as a copy of your birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or green card.
  • If you are filing for a family member who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you will need proof of their relationship to you, such as a copy of their birth certificate or marriage certificate.
  • If you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, you will need to submit police and court records related to the arrest or conviction.
  • If you have ever been denied entry into the United States, you will need to submit evidence of this denial (such as a copy of the relevant order from USCIS).

Filing Form I-130 for visiting relatives is that it is an easy process that can be completed relatively quickly. However, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that the process goes smoothly. 

  • Make sure to double-check the direct filing addresses for Form I-130 before applying. 
  • Be prepared to provide supporting documentation such as proof of relationship and financial support. 
  • Be patient as the processing time for Form I-130 can vary depending on the USCIS office.