Replacing a Damaged Green Card

Having a permanent resident is an important part of establishing your identity in the United States. If your card has expired, been lost or stolen, or was damaged beyond repair, you will need to apply for a replacement. 

A Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is the most important document you will have as a permanent resident in the United States. It proves your lawful presence in the US and allows you to live and work here indefinitely.

Steps for Replacing Green Card 

If a Green Card is lost or stolen, the individual must report it as soon as possible by filing Form I-90 with USCIS.
This form can be filled out online or downloaded from the USCIS website.
The individual will also need to provide proof of identity in order for USCIS to process the application, such as a copy of their passport or birth certificate. 
Once Form I-90 is submitted, USCIS will review it and then issue an approval notice with instructions on what documents must be submitted along with the fee for replacing a lost/stolen card.

When Your Green Card Is Damaged 

If your green card has been damaged beyond recognition, you will still need to file Form I-90 with USCIS but without any supporting documents other than those required for identification purposes. Once again, USCIS will review your application and issue an approval notice with instructions on what documents must be submitted along with the fee for replacing a damaged card. 

Receiving Your Replacement Card After submitting all of the necessary paperwork and paying the applicable fee, USCIS will then process your application and mail out a replacement green card within 2–3 weeks of receiving all required documentation and payment processing confirmation. 

The new green card issued by USCIS will have the same expiration date as the one that was lost/stolen/damaged so there is no need to reapply before the old one expired. 

Here are information:

Filing an Application 
The application process for replacing your green card begins with filing Form I-90. The form can be filled out online and printed, or it can be filled out by hand and mailed to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). When filling out the form, make sure that all information is accurate and up to date, any mistakes can result in delays or denial of your application. You will also need to include two passport-style photographs taken within 30 days of submitting your application. 

In addition to filing Form I-90, you also need to submit evidence showing why you are applying for a replacement card. (1) This could include police reports if your card was stolen, (2) affidavits from family members if your card was lost, or photos of damaged cards. Make sure that any evidence submitted is clear and legible – blurry photos may result in delays in processing time.  

Payment & Processing Time

Your payment for Form I-90 should be made via check or money order payable to “U.S Department of Homeland Security” when mailing the form in; if submitting online, payment via credit/debit card is accepted. Processing times vary depending on the complexity of each individual case; however, USCIS usually processes Form I-90 within 6 months of receiving it if all required documentation has been provided properly and in full. 

There are a few ways to secure your green card:

1. Make sure your passport is up-to-date and has at least six months of validity remaining from the date of your intended departure from the United States.

2. Carry with you a copy of your green card, both front and back, and also keep a photocopy of your green card in a safe place.

3. If you are traveling outside of the United States, always carry your passport with you.

4. If you are absent from the United States for more than one year, you will need to re-apply for a green card upon your return.       

All you have to do is fill out Form I-90 properly, gather the necessary documents (such as identity proof) and pay the applicable fees ($455 USD plus biometrics fees). Once everything has been gathered together and sent off, it’s just a matter of waiting until USCIS approves your request before receiving your new Green Card in the mail.

Replacing your Green Card is easy once you know what steps you need to take!